"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Just lettin' it out...

Let me tell you what I know:

I know God has a plan for me, and I know this is all part of it.
I know He wants me to have faith in Him and turn to Him, always.
I know we're blessed that Mitch has work, even if it's temporary and out-of-town.
I know we are blessed with love and family and health and countless other things.
I know it's abhorrently self-pitying and pointless to cast blame for our situation.
I know life's not fair, nor is it easy.
I know we are better off than many, many people right now.
I know there are all sorts of folks who will do everything right but will still struggle longer and harder than we will.
I know we'll get through this.

But you know what? Here's how I feel in my current over-emotional state:

I’m tired of pretending I care about anything but bringing him home to me. Everything else I do is just a way of distracting myself from the fact that he’s gone. Work, school, chores, riding…I do it all wishing something would consume me but failing to lose myself in anything. I pretend everything’s fine when he calls, because it doesn’t do either one of us any good to spend our infrequent interactions bemoaning the situation. I pretend everything’s fine when he’s home, but I’m really unreasonably angry at him for having left in the first place. I don’t want him to sit at home without a job, but I don’t want a job to take him away from home, either.

Damn this crappy economy. Damn all you irresponsible decision-makers – political, corporate and individual – for making honest, hardworking, responsible people pay the price for your short-term thinking and lack of accountability. Damn the unfairness of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laurie lets it out!! Excellent post. I agree with you 100 percent.

Remember, it's not a crime to be dissatisfied or unhappy. Kudos to you for refusing to fall into the powerless-victim mentality, but don't let the pendulum swing all the way in the opposite direction - there are some circumstances that are out of your control and unfair, y'know?

- Ryan