"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Monday, June 15, 2009

Starting the week off right

For three weeks now, I've been trying to ride home from work. It's somewhere around 35 miles from Alma to St. Johns, on a really easy route with very little traffic. My first attempt was foiled thanks to a last-minute meeting at work and evening plans that would not permit a late start on the ride. My second attempt never even got off the ground, because I couldn't get my mountain biking tires off my Race Lite wheel set (it was my first time trying to change tires since the upgrade). But the third time is most certainly a charm: after checking the weather last night and seeing sunshine and calm conditions, I made some logistical arrangements with my carpool friends, loaded up the bike and hit the road at the end of the day.

It was a wonderful ride. My legs were a little tired and I could definitely tell I hadn't ridden last week and partied with the Captain and junk food on Saturday, but about 10 miles in I hit a nice groove, which continued for 10 more miles before it started to become hard work again. Being out in the middle of nowhere, I saw some deer in a field and a whole crew of pheasant chicks - tiny little puffballs!

Now it's time to get started on some homework. Thank goodness we have a staff retreat tomorrow and food will be provided, because I'm too tired to go to the grocery store and I'd be scrounging to find a decent lunch to pack!

No comments: