Just for fun (and because I was emailing it to someone else), I thought I'd share one of my favorite breakfast recipes. This baked oatmeal is great to make for big crowds. For fruit, I've done apples (by themselves and with raspberries or cherries) and peaches (usually with blueberries). Both are awesome - make it and enjoy!
Baked Oatmeal
2 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
1/2 cup steel cut oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups milk
1 egg - beaten
1/3 cup applesauce
1/4 cup cooking oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups fresh fruit
1. In large bowl, combine oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
2. In medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients, except fruit. Add to oat mixture, stirring until combined.
3. Turn in lightly greased 2-quart casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Remove from oven. Stir, then fold in fruit. Bake 20 more minutes.
Serves six people.
3 comments:
I have to ask, what's the difference between rolled oats and steel-cut oats? I've noticed both types at the grocery store, and didn't even know there were multiple types of oats!
Very good question: I'm not sure, I only know that you must use both kinds to make this recipe turn out. Wikipedia gives some insight here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolled_oats
Ah, Wikipedia! The soundless depths of knowledge! : )
Post a Comment