I have a nice list of students to call, but I'm putting it off because I really hate phone calls. It's gotten better over the years because I have to do it so much, but I'd still rather do other things - like tell you about my weekend!
It was a very nice weekend, all in all. We ended up going to my parents' house because (a) we didn't think we had anything else going on, (b) Mitch's birthday present was in for us to pick up at REI and (c) Mom invited us for turkey on Sunday evening. Plus it's always nice to go home for a visit. Anyway, we spent Saturday night at Detroit's Winter Blast, which would have been cool if ice skating, sledding and campfires were foreign to us. As it was, we just walked around in the cold carrying our ice skates that got very little use on the overcrowded rink.
To our surprise, we discovered that reason (a) for coming downstate was not true: our church's volleyball league began on Sunday, so we had to cancel on the turkey dinner and made plans to leave in the late afternoon. On Sundaymorning, Mom and I tackled her haphazard boxes of 30+ years of photos in an effort to get them at least somewhat organized and in albums. We covered the entire floor of the living room and still had sorting to do after about four hours of work! Maybe it was a good thing we had to leave by 3 pm; otherwise, I think I would have buried myself under decades of Christmas photos!
Church league volleyball was pretty fun, though the competition is not what we're used to. We got lucky, though, and only have one real dud on the team on which we were placed. The other woman is solid, one of the guys is just athletic so he's picking it up OK and the other guy is older with what appears to be very little volleyball experience. We're definitely not at an awesome level ourselves, either, but I am proud to say that the majority of my serves went over!
Oh, and a mini-crisis erupted this weekend: where to stay for the June wedding we're attending (and in which I'm a member of the bridal party) in Traverse City! The matron of honor called to tell me everything at Crystal Mountain - the reception location - was either booked or ridiculously expensive. The bride had not blocked off any rooms for the wedding party or traveling guests, and we're not paying $200+ per night to share a condo for three days, so I went into problem solving mode and found some cabins for rent about 10 minutes from the resort. I'm waiting for some call-backs, but it looks like that is where we'll be staying even if others in the party decide to book one of those pricey condos. I can't decide if I think the bride will be upset with us going off-site for accommodations or not...oh well.
OK, I can't put it off any longer. Phone time. Yay...
No comments:
Post a Comment