"So take this broken offering and make me whole,
Set my feet upon the road that leads me home,
let me walk as one fixed upon the goal,
even though I've got a thousand miles to go..."

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

State Champ!

Big congratulations go out to my cousin, Jeff Thompson, who is the MHSAA Boys State Champion in slalom skiing!

I can't help being proud, not just because he is my cousin, but because nine years ago, my friends and I started the varsity ski team at South Lyon High School. We had tons of help from my aunt and uncle (Jeff's parents), don't get me wrong, but the idea, the recruitment and the countless drop-in meetings with the Athletic Director came from yours truly and a good friend of mine. He and I were the team's first captains and while that first season was pretty terrible in terms of talent, it laid the groundwork for success in the seasons that followed. I can easily credit that team's improvement to the dedication of my aunt and uncle, who not only coach the team but host the entire group of rowdy high schoolers at their cabin for training camp at Boyne Mountain.

So congrats again to Jeff and his family - the Lions are a force to be reckoned with out on the slopes!

No comments: